17 Things To Know Before Travelling to Ajmer, Rajasthan, 305001
1. Destination Overview of Ajmer:
Ajmer is a historical city in Rajasthan, India, located 135 km southwest of Jaipur. It is surrounded by the Aravalli mountain range and is known for its picturesque lake, Ana Sagar, and the Dargah Sharif, a shrine to the Sufi saint Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti. Popular attractions nearby include the Taragarh Fort, the Adhai-din-ka-Jhonpra mosque, and the Mayo College museum.
2. Top Activities to do in Ajmer:
• Visit the Dargah Sharif, a shrine to the Sufi saint Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti.
• Explore the Taragarh Fort, the oldest fort in Rajasthan.
• Admire the beauty of Ana Sagar Lake, a picturesque artificial lake built in the 12th century.
• Visit Adhai-din-ka-Jhonpra, an ancient mosque with a unique architecture.
• Take a stroll around Ajmer Museum, which houses a wide range of archaeological artefacts and other historical items.
• Relax at the Ana Sagar Park, the perfect spot for a picnic.
• Visit the Mayo College, an elite boarding school with a stunning architecture.
• Try your luck at the Pushkar Camel Fair, one of the oldest and largest camel fairs in India.
3. Best Places To Stay in Ajmer:
• Luxury Places: Hotel Lohagarh Haveli, Hotel Moin Palace, Hotel Nirmal Haveli.
• Mid Range: Hotel Anuraag Villa, Hotel Bhawani Palace, Hotel Madhuban Palace.
• Budget Friendly: Hotel Darshan, Hotel The Grand Manor, Hotel Crystal Inn.
4. How to Travel to Ajmer?
The nearest airport to Ajmer is Jaipur Airport (JAI). The nearest railway station is Ajmer Junction (AII). Taxis or cabs are available from the airport/railway station to the city. One can also hire a car or rent a bike to get around the city.
5. Must Try Local Food and Drink in Ajmer:
• Dal Bati Churma
• Laal Maas
• Mawa Kachori
• Gatte Ki Sabzi
• Mirchi Bada
• Kadi Pakodi
• Pyaaz Kachori
• Makhania Lassi
6. Best Places to Eat in Ajmer:
• Hotel Nirmal Haveli: The restaurant serves a variety of cuisines from Indian, Chinese, and Continental. Must-try dishes include Dal Bati Churma and Laal Maas.
• Hotel Anuraag Villa: The restaurant serves up authentic Rajasthani delicacies, like Gatte Ki Sabzi and Mirchi Bada.
• Hotel Darshan: This place serves delicious vegetarian and Jain dishes, like Kadi Pakodi and Ghevar.
• Hotel Bhawani Palace: This restaurant serves up a variety of North Indian and Chinese dishes, like Pyaaz Kachori and Kachori.
• Hotel Madhuban Palace: Must-try dishes include Malpuas and Rabdi.
7. Weather and Climate:
The climate of Ajmer is hot and dry in summers and pleasant in winters. The best time to visit is from October to March. It is best to avoid visiting in summers due to the extreme heat.
8. Local Customs and Etiquette in Ajmer:
It is customary to take off your shoes while visiting religious places in Ajmer. Women should dress modestly and avoid wearing revealing clothing. It is also advisable to avoid displaying affection in public.
9. Popular Scams in Ajmer:
• Overcharging: Some taxi drivers may charge you more than the agreed fare. It is best to always negotiate the fare before getting into the vehicle.
• Fake Currency: Be wary of fake currency notes, especially in markets and small shops.
• Fake Tour Guides: Fake tour guides may offer to take you to tourist attractions but may try to take advantage of you by overcharging.
10. Suggested Trip Duration:
The suggested trip duration for a first time traveller to Ajmer is 3 to 4 days.
11. Total Estimated Budget Per Person:
The total estimated budget for a person travelling to Ajmer is approximately INR 5,000 to 6,000 per person, including Stay, Food, Activities, Tickets Any other (if applicable).
12. Nearby Cities:
• Pushkar: 15 km
• Kishangarh: 48 km
• Jaipur: 135 km
• Udaipur: 250 km
13. Local Language and Communication in Ajmer:
The official language of Ajmer is Hindi and the local language is Rajasthani. English is widely spoken in the city and there are English-speaking guides available at the tourist attractions.
14. Accepted Currency and Money:
The local currency of Ajmer is Indian Rupee (INR). Credit cards and debit cards are accepted at most places. Tipping is not mandatory but is appreciated.
15. Health and Medical Information:
No specific vaccinations are required for travel to Ajmer but it is advisable to consult a doctor before travelling. There are several medical facilities and emergency services available in the city.
16. Packing Tips for Ajmer:
It is best to pack light and comfortable clothes, including a few jackets and sweaters for the colder evenings. It is also best to pack comfortable shoes, sunscreen and a hat for protection from the sun.
17. To Sum Up:
Ajmer is a historical city in Rajasthan, India, known for its picturesque lake, Ana Sagar, and the Dargah Sharif, a shrine to the Sufi saint Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti. Popular attractions include the Taragarh Fort, the Adhai-din-ka-Jhonpra mosque, and the Mayo College museum.