17 Things To Know Before Travelling to Chittaurgarh, Rajasthan, 312001
1. Destination Overview of Chittaurgarh:
Chittaurgarh is a city located in the state of Rajasthan, India. It is a historical place and is famous for its numerous forts, palaces, temples, and many other monuments. It was the capital of the former kingdom of Mewar and is known for its rich cultural heritage and history.
2. Top Activities to do in Chittaurgarh:
• Visit the Chittaurgarh Fort: This massive fort is the largest fort in India and is known for its grandeur and historical significance.
• Explore Vijay Stambha: This is the iconic victory tower located in the fort complex. It was built by the Mewar rulers to commemorate their victory against the Sultanate of Delhi in the 15th century.
• Visit the Kalikamata Temple: This is an ancient temple dedicated to the goddess Kalikamata. It is said to be one of the oldest temples in India and is a popular pilgrimage site.
• Enjoy the Light and Sound Show: This show is held every night at the Chittaurgarh fort and provides an insight into the history of the place.
• Go for a Boat Ride: Enjoy a boat ride on the lake in the Chittaurgarh fort complex and get a unique view of the fort.
• Visit Fateh Prakash Palace: This is an impressive palace located in the fort complex. It has a museum and a library with a collection of artifacts and manuscripts.
• Enjoy Shopping in the Local Markets: The city is full of bustling markets where you can buy traditional Rajasthani handicrafts and souvenirs.
3. Best Places To Stay in Chittaurgarh:
• Luxury Places: Oberoi Udaivilas, Chittorgarh Fort Resort, Rambagh Palace
• Mid Range: Hotel Rajmahal, Hotel The Grand Bhagwati, Hotel Raj Garden Palace
• Budget Friendly: Hotel Laxmi Palace, Hotel Shivam Palace, Hotel City Inn
4. How to Travel to Chittaurgarh?:
Chittaurgarh is well connected via rail, road and air. The nearest airport is the Udaipur Airport and the nearest railway station is the Chittaurgarh Railway Station. You can also hire a taxi from the nearest city, Udaipur.
5. Must Try Local Food and Drink in Chittaurgarh:
• Kadhi: This is a traditional Rajasthani dish made with yogurt and chickpea flour.
• Laal Maas: This is a spicy mutton curry which is a specialty of Rajasthan.
• Dal Bati Churma: This is a popular dish made with lentils, wheat balls and ghee.
• Ghevar: This is a sweet dish made with flour, ghee and sugar syrup.
• Pyaaz Kachori: This is a popular snack made with onions, spices and deep-fried dough.
• Seasonal Fruits: Chittaurgarh is famous for its seasonal fruits such as mangoes, guavas, and pomegranates.
6. Best Places to Eat in Chittaurgarh:
• Rajmahal Restaurant: This is a popular restaurant known for its authentic Rajasthani cuisine.
• Eklingji Restaurant: This is a multi-cuisine restaurant located in the Chittaurgarh fort complex.
• Annapurna Restaurant: This is a vegetarian restaurant serving delicious South Indian food.
• Om Bhojnalaya: This is a popular restaurant serving traditional Rajasthani food.
• Grand Bhagwati Restaurant: This is a multi-cuisine restaurant with a variety of dishes.
7. Weather and Climate:
Chittaurgarh has a semi-arid climate with hot summers and mild winters. The best time to visit is between October and February. It is advised to avoid travelling during the summer months when the temperature can reach up to 40°C.
8. Local Customs and Etiquette in Chittaurgarh:
It is advised to dress modestly when visiting temples and holy sites. Also, it is important to remove your shoes when entering temples and other religious places. It is also important to remember to accept food and drinks with both hands.
9. Popular Scams in Chittaurgarh:
Be wary of strangers offering help as they may be trying to scam you. Be careful with taxi drivers as they may try to charge you more than the actual fare. It is also important to be aware of pickpockets in crowded areas.
10. Suggested Trip Duration:
The suggested trip duration for a first-time traveler to Chittaurgarh is 3-4 days.
11. Total Estimated Budget Per Person:
The total estimated budget per person for a trip to Chittaurgarh is approximately INR 10,000-12,000. This includes stay, food, activities, tickets and other expenses.
12. NearBy Cities:
• Udaipur: 120 km
• Kota: 130 km
• Ajmer: 160 km
• Jaipur: 240 km
• Jodhpur: 370 km
13. Local Language and Communication in Chittaurgarh:
The official language spoken in Chittaurgarh is Hindi. English is also spoken by some people. There are English-speaking guides available at the tourist destinations who usually charge around INR 500-1000 per day.
14. Accepted Currency and Money:
The currency used in Chittaurgarh is the Indian Rupee. Major credit cards and debit cards are accepted in most places. Tipping is not common in Chittaurgarh but it is appreciated if you do choose to tip.
15. Health and Medical Information:
It is recommended to get vaccinated against Hepatitis A and B before travelling to Chittaurgarh. There are medical facilities and emergency services available in the city.
16. Packing Tips for Chittaurgarh:
• It is advised to pack light and comfortable clothing for the trip.
• A light jacket or sweater is recommended for the evenings.
• Comfortable shoes are also essential for exploring the city.
• Sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat are essential for protection from the sun.
17. To sum up:
Chittaurgarh is an ancient city in Rajasthan, India, renowned for its massive fort, palaces, temples, and rich cultural heritage.