Destination Overview of Delhi:
Delhi is the capital city of India with a rich cultural and historical heritage. It is located in the northern part of India, and is the second most populous city in the country. It is known for its historical monuments, religious sites, shopping markets, and vibrant nightlife. It is one of the oldest inhabited cities in the world and is full of culture and diversity.
Top Activities to do in Delhi:
• Visit the historical monuments such as the Red Fort, Qutub Minar, India Gate, and Humayun’s Tomb.• Explore the religious sites such as the Jama Masjid, Lotus Temple, and Akshardham Temple.• Shop at the bustling markets of Chandni Chowk and Dilli Haat.• Enjoy the vibrant nightlife at the pubs and bars in Hauz Khas Village.• Take a boat ride on the Yamuna River.• Go for a stroll in the Lodhi Gardens.• Take a day trip to the nearby cities of Agra and Jaipur.
Best Places to Stay in Delhi:
Luxury Places: The Oberoi, The Taj Mahal Hotel, The Leela Palace.Mid Range: Hotel The Royal Plaza, Hotel Park Plaza, The Claridges.Budget Friendly: Hotel City Star, Hotel Park Residency, Hotel Royal Castle.
How to Travel to Delhi?:
The major airport in Delhi is the Indira Gandhi International Airport. It is well connected to all the major cities across the globe. The city is also well-connected to other parts of the country by rail, bus, and road.
Must Try Local Food and Drink in Delhi:
• Chole Bhature• Parantha• Butter Chicken• Dal Makhani• Gulab Jamun• Aloo Tikki• Chaat• Lassi• Jalebi• Kadhi Pakoda• Paneer Tikka• Rajma• Nimbu Pani• Kullad Lassi
Best Places to Eat in Delhi:
• Karim’s, Old Delhi• Saravana Bhavan, Connaught Place• Haldiram’s, Connaught Place• Moolchand Paranthe Wala, South Delhi• Chor Bizarre, Connaught Place
Weather and Climate:
Delhi has a tropical climate and experiences hot summers and cold winters. The best time to visit Delhi is from October to March when the weather is pleasant and the temperature is moderate. The months of April to June should be avoided due to extreme heat.
Local Customs and Etiquette in Delhi:
Tipping is common in Delhi and 10-15% of the bill amount is considered as a standard tip. The dress code is generally conservative and people should avoid wearing revealing clothing.
Popular Scams in Delhi:
• Unofficial tour guides offering their services at the airport, railway station and other tourist sites.• Unofficial taxi drivers who charge an inflated rate.• Fake shops selling counterfeit products.
Suggested Trip Duration:
A minimum of 4-5 days is recommended for a first-time traveler to Delhi.
Total Estimated Budget Per Person:
Stay: INR 3000-5000Food: INR 2000-4000Activities: INR 2000-3000Tickets: INR 500-1000
• Agra: 204 km• Jaipur: 259 km• Mathura: 156 km• Rishikesh: 230 km• Mussoorie: 307 km
Local Language and Communication in Delhi:
The official language is Hindi and English is widely spoken in the city. Most of the tourist destinations have English-speaking guides available for hire.
Accepted Currency and Money:
The Indian Rupee (INR) is the accepted currency in Delhi. Credit cards are accepted in most shops and restaurants, but it is better to carry cash. Tipping is expected and usually ranges from 10-15% of the bill amount.
Health and Medical Information:
It is recommended to get vaccinated for common diseases such as typhoid and hepatitis A before traveling to India. It is also advised to get travel insurance. Delhi has several well-equipped medical facilities and emergency services.
Packing Tips for Delhi:
Light clothing is recommended for the hot and humid weather of Delhi. Comfortable footwear and sunglasses are also recommended.
To sum up:
Delhi is the capital of India and is full of culture, history, and religious sites. It is the perfect destination to explore India’s history and culture.