Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh, is a vibrant city with a rich culture and history. Whether you’re looking for historical sites, outdoor activities, or delicious local food, there is something for everyone in Dhaka. Here are 17 things to know before travelling to Dhaka, Bangladesh:
1. Destination Overview of Dhaka:
Dhaka is the capital and largest city in Bangladesh, located in the central region of the country. It is home to more than 18 million people and is the cultural, economic, and political center of Bangladesh. Dhaka is known for its mosques, museums, and markets, and is the birthplace of Bengali culture.
2. What are the Fun things to do in Dhaka?
• Visit the Ahsan Manzil Museum: A former palace turned museum, the Ahsan Manzil is one of the most iconic buildings in Dhaka.
• Explore the Old City: The Old City is a bustling hub of markets, temples, and bazaars.
• Visit the Lalbagh Fort: This Mughal fort is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Dhaka.
• Enjoy the Street Food: Dhaka is known for its street food, which ranges from traditional Bangladeshi dishes to international fare.
• Take a Cruise on the Buriganga River: Enjoy the sights and sounds of Dhaka from the Buriganga River.
• Shop at the Central Market: The Central Market is a great place to find traditional Bangladeshi clothing and souvenirs.
3. Best Places To Stay in Dhaka:
• The Westin Dhaka,
• The Raintree Dhaka,
• The Peninsula Chittagong.
• The Dhaka Regency Hotel & Resort,
• Hotel The Roseview Dhaka,
• The White House.
• Hotel Regent Park,
• Hotel 71,
• Hotel Sultan.
4. How to Travel to Dhaka?
The best way to get to Dhaka is by air. The main airport in Dhaka is Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport. There are also several domestic airports in Dhaka, including Shah Amanat International Airport and Zia International Airport. From the airport, travelers can take a taxi or a bus to get to their destination.
5. Must Try Local Food and Drink in Dhaka:
• Panta Bhat: Panta Bhat is a traditional Bangladeshi dish made with rice and lentils.
• Bhapa Ilish: Bhapa Ilish is a popular fish dish made with steamed Hilsa fish.
• Biryani: Biryani is a popular dish made with rice, meat, and spices.
• Dhakai Paratha: Dhakai Paratha is a type of flatbread made with ghee and flour.
• Tea: Tea is a popular drink in Bangladesh, and is often served with milk and sugar.
• Mango Lassi: Mango Lassi is a popular drink made with yogurt, mango, and sugar.
6. Best Places to Eat in Dhaka:
• Star Kabab,
• Khan Mohammad Briyani House,
• Cafe Mango,
• Nawab Family Restaurant,
• The Brick Bistro.
7. Weather and Climate:
The best time to visit Dhaka is from October to March, when the weather is mild and dry. The summer months (April to September) are hot and humid, and the monsoon season (July to September) can be very wet.
8. Local Customs and Etiquette in Dhaka:
It is important to be aware of local customs and etiquette when travelling to Dhaka. Respect for elders is very important, and visitors should dress modestly and avoid public displays of affection. Tipping is not common in Bangladesh, but it is appreciated if service is good.
9. Popular Scams in Dhaka:
Be wary of taxi drivers who try to overcharge you, and avoid buying counterfeit goods. Also, be aware of pickpockets and scammers who may try to take advantage of tourists.
10. Suggested Trip Duration:
The suggested trip duration for Dhaka is 3-4 days.
11. Total Estimated Budget Per Person:
The total estimated budget per person for Dhaka is $50-$100 per day.
12. NearBy Cities:
• Chittagong (152 km)
• Sylhet (244 km)
• Khulna (220 km)
• Cox’s Bazar (372 km)
• Rangamati (400 km)
13. Local Language and Communication in Dhaka:
The official language of Bangladesh is Bengali, but English is also widely spoken. There are also many English-speaking guides available at tourist destinations.
14. Accepted Currency and Money:
The local currency is the Bangladeshi Taka (BDT). Major credit cards are accepted in most places, but it is recommended to carry some cash. Tipping is not common in Bangladesh, but it is appreciated if service is good.
15. Health and Medical Information:
It is recommended to get vaccinated against typhoid and hepatitis A before travelling to Dhaka. Tap water is not safe to drink, so it is recommended to drink bottled water. There are several hospitals and medical clinics in Dhaka.
16. Packing Tips for Dhaka:
When packing for Dhaka, it is important to pack for the hot and humid weather. Light, loose-fitting clothing is recommended, as well as comfortable shoes. A hat and sunscreen are also recommended.
17. To sum up:
Dhaka is the vibrant capital of Bangladesh, and is home to a rich culture and history. From exploring the Old City to enjoying the street food, there is something for everyone in Dhaka. Be sure to plan ahead and know the local customs and etiquette before travelling to Dhaka, and enjoy your stay!