Ho Hue, Vietnam is a stunning city with plenty of attractions and activities to explore. With its historical sites, vibrant culture, and delicious food, Ho Hue is a must-visit destination for any traveler. Here are 17 things to know before traveling to Ho Hue:
1. Destination Overview of Ho Hue:
Ho Hue is the former imperial capital of Vietnam and is situated on the banks of the Perfume River. It is famous for its historic monuments, vibrant culture, and delicious cuisine. It is a popular tourist destination and is home to many cultural attractions, such as the Imperial City, the Thien Mu Pagoda, and the Citadel.
2. Top Activities to do in Ho Hue:
• Explore the Imperial City: This is a World Heritage Site and the former imperial palace of the Nguyen Dynasty.
• Visit the Thien Mu Pagoda: This is a seven-story pagoda with an impressive seven-story tower and is one of the most iconic landmarks in Vietnam.
• Take a cruise on the Perfume River: This is the perfect way to enjoy the beauty of the city and admire the stunning views of the river.
• Visit the Citadel: This is a fortress that was built by the Nguyen Dynasty and is a great place to explore the city’s history.
• Go to the Dong Ba Market: This is the largest market in the city and is a great place to find souvenirs and local products.
• Visit the Royal Tombs: These are the burial sites of the emperors of the Nguyen Dynasty and are a great place to learn about the city’s history.
• Try the local cuisine: Ho Hue is famous for its delicious food, and there are many restaurants and street food stalls to try.
• Take a bike tour: This is a great way to explore the city and admire its beauty.
• Visit the Bach Ma National Park: This is a great place to explore the natural beauty of the city and admire the stunning views.
3. Best Places To Stay in Ho Hue:
• Luxury Places: La Residence Hotel & Spa, Pilgrimage Village Boutique Resort & Spa, Hue Serene Palace Hotel.
• Mid Range: Hoang Anh Hotel, Grand Tourane Hotel, The Anantara Resort & Spa.
• Budget Friendly: Huong Giang Hotel, Thanh Noi Hotel, A Dong Hotel.
4. How to Travel to Ho Hue?:
The best way to get to Ho Hue is by air. The nearest airport is Phu Bai International Airport, which is located about 30 kilometers from the city. There are also bus and train services from Hanoi and other cities in Vietnam.
5. Must Try Local Food and Drink in Ho Hue:
• Bun Bo Hue: A spicy beef noodle soup.
• Banh Beo: Rice cakes with a variety of toppings.
• Banh Khoai: Fried pancakes filled with pork, shrimp, and bean sprouts.
• Com Hen: Rice with clams, peanuts, and herbs.
• Banh Loc: Steamed tapioca dumplings filled with shrimp and pork.
• Banh Nam: Fried rice flour dumplings filled with pork and shrimp.
• Che Bap: Sweet corn pudding.
• Ca Phe Trung: Egg coffee.
• Che Chuoi: Banana pudding.
• Nuoc Mia: Sugarcane juice.
6. Best Places to Eat in Ho Hue:
• La Boulangerie: This is a French bakery and cafe with a wide selection of pastries and breads.
• Ngan: This is a traditional Vietnamese restaurant that serves a variety of dishes, such as Bun Bo Hue and Banh Khoai.
• Thanh Thuy: This is a restaurant that specializes in local dishes, such as Com Hen and Banh Nam.
• La Maison: This is a French-Vietnamese fusion restaurant that serves a variety of dishes, such as Banh Beo and Banh Loc.
• Quoc Anh: This is a seafood restaurant that serves a variety of dishes, such as grilled fish and seafood soup.
7. Weather and Climate:
The best time to visit Ho Hue is from December to April, when the weather is mild and the skies are clear. The summer months of May to August can be very hot and humid. The winter months of November to February can be cool and rainy.
8. Local Customs and Etiquette in Ho Hue:
In Ho Hue, it is important to dress modestly and respect local customs. It is also important to be aware of the local laws and to avoid any behavior that could be considered offensive. Tipping is not common in Ho Hue, but it is appreciated if the service is good.
9. Popular Scams in Ho Hue:
Be aware of scams, such as taxi drivers charging more than the agreed price, people selling fake goods, and people offering “free” tours that are not free. It is also important to be aware of pickpockets in crowded areas.
10. Suggested Trip Duration:
A minimum of 3-4 days is recommended for a first-time traveler to Ho Hue.
11. Total Estimated Budget Per Person:
Stay: $20- $150
Food: $10- $50
Activities: $10- $50
Tickets: $5- $20
12. NearBy Cities:
• Danang – 70 km
• Hanoi – 700 km
• Quang Binh – 220 km
• Hue – 110 km
• Hoi An – 130 km
13. Local Language and Communication in Ho Hue:
The official language in Ho Hue is Vietnamese, but English is widely spoken. It is also possible to find English-speaking tour guides at the tourist attractions.
14. Accepted Currency and Money:
The local currency is the Vietnamese Dong (VND). Major credit cards are accepted in most establishments, and there are ATMs located throughout the city.
15. Health and Medical Information:
It is recommended to have vaccinations for hepatitis A and B, typhoid, and Japanese encephalitis before travelling to Ho Hue. There are also several hospitals and medical clinics located in the city.
16. Packing Tips for Ho Hue:
It is important to pack for the climate, as the weather can be hot and humid in the summer months. It is also important to bring comfortable walking shoes, a hat, and sunscreen. It is also important to pack appropriate clothing, as the dress code in Ho Hue is conservative.
17. To sum up:
Ho Hue is a beautiful city with plenty of attractions and activities to explore. From exploring the Imperial City to taking a cruise on the Perfume River, there are many things to do in Ho Hue. Be sure to pack appropriately, have the necessary vaccinations, and be aware of local customs and etiquette to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip.