Jodhpur, in the state of Rajasthan, India, is famous for its beautiful palaces, forts, and temples. Here are 17 tips to help travelers plan a successful and enjoyable trip to Jodhpur:
1. Destination Overview of Jodhpur:
Jodhpur is the second largest city in Rajasthan. It is known for its majestic forts, palaces, and temples. The city is home to some of India’s most iconic monuments and is known for its vibrant culture and cuisine.
2. Top Activities to do in Jodhpur:
• Visit Mehrangarh Fort: Mehrangarh Fort is one of the most impressive forts in India. The fort stands at an elevation of 410 feet and is a major tourist attraction.
• Explore the Clock Tower Market: The Clock Tower Market is the oldest market in Jodhpur. It is a great place to shop for traditional Rajasthani handicrafts and souvenirs.
• Enjoy a Camel Safari: A camel safari is a great way to explore the desert landscape of Rajasthan.
• Visit the Jaswant Thada: The Jaswant Thada is a white marble memorial, built in the memory of Maharaja Jaswant Singh II.
• Explore Umaid Bhawan Palace: Umaid Bhawan Palace is a magnificent palace located in Jodhpur. The palace has been converted into a hotel, and visitors can explore the magnificent architecture.
• Take a Tour of Mandore Gardens: Mandore Gardens is a beautiful garden located in Jodhpur. The garden is home to many temples and cenotaphs.
• Visit the Bishnoi Village: The Bishnoi Village is a traditional village located in the outskirts of Jodhpur. The village is home to many Bishnoi tribes, who are known for their hospitality.
3. Best Places To Stay in Jodhpur:
• Luxury Places: The Umaid Bhawan Palace, Taj Hari Mahal, Taj Hari Mahal Heritage Hotel.
• Mid Range: Hotel Raas, The Kothi Heritage, The Lallgarh Palace & Museum.
• Budget Friendly: The Heritage Home, Hotel Balaji, Hotel Jodhana.
4. How to Travel to Jodhpur?:
Jodhpur is well-connected by air, rail, and road. The nearest airport is Jodhpur Airport, which is 8 km away from the city center. The city is also connected to major cities by rail. There are regular buses to Jodhpur from major cities.
5. Must Try Local Food and Drink in Jodhpur:
• Ker Sangri: Ker Sangri is a traditional dish made with two local ingredients, Ker and Sangri.
• Dal Bati Churma: Dal Bati Churma is a traditional Rajasthani dish made with dal, bati, and churma.
• Ghevar: Ghevar is a sweet dish made with milk, sugar, and flour.
• Makhaniya Lassi: Makhaniya Lassi is a traditional yogurt-based drink, made with milk and yogurt.
• Kachori: Kachori is a deep-fried snack, made with flour and filled with a spicy filling.
• Gatte: Gatte is a spicy dish made with gram flour and spices.
• Laal Maans: Laal Maans is a spicy dish made with mutton and red chillies.
• Malpua: Malpua is a traditional sweet dish made with milk, flour, and sugar.
6. Best Places to Eat in Jodhpur:
• Jhankar Restaurant: Jhankar Restaurant is one of the best restaurants in Jodhpur. The restaurant serves delicious Rajasthani cuisine.
• Chirag Restaurant: Chirag Restaurant is one of the oldest restaurants in Jodhpur. The restaurant serves delicious Rajasthani cuisine.
• Lassiwala: Lassiwala is a popular restaurant in Jodhpur. The restaurant serves delicious lassi.
• Multicuisine Restaurant: Multicuisine Restaurant is one of the best restaurants in Jodhpur. The restaurant serves delicious multi-cuisine dishes.
• Sheesha Restaurant: Sheesha Restaurant is a popular restaurant in Jodhpur. The restaurant serves delicious Sheesha (Hookah).
7. Weather and Climate:
Jodhpur has a hot semi-arid climate. Summers are very hot, with temperatures reaching up to 40°C. Winters are mild, with temperatures ranging from 6°C to 22°C. The best time to visit Jodhpur is from October to March.
8. Local Customs and Etiquette in Jodhpur:
• Women should dress modestly when visiting religious sites and temples.
• It is important to take off your shoes before entering a temple or a mosque.
• It is considered rude to touch someone with your feet.
• It is important to be respectful to local religious customs.
• It is important to bargain when shopping in the markets.
9. Popular Scams in Jodhpur:
• Be wary of fake tour guides who offer to show you the city for a fee.
• Avoid buying items from street vendors, as they may be selling counterfeit items.
• Be wary of pickpockets in crowded areas.
• Do not exchange currency at unauthorized money changers.
• Do not accept food or drinks from strangers.
10. Suggested Trip Duration:
The suggested trip duration for Jodhpur is 3 to 4 days.
11. Total Estimated Budget Per Person:
The total estimated budget per person for Jodhpur is around INR 5,000 to INR 10,000, depending on the type of accommodation and activities chosen.
12. Nearby Cities:
The nearby cities to Jodhpur are Jaipur (250 km), Udaipur (250 km), Bikaner (250 km), Pushkar (250 km), Ajmer (300 km), Jaisalmer (350 km).
13. Local Language and Communication in Jodhpur:
The local language of Jodhpur is Hindi. English is also widely spoken in the city. English-speaking tour guides are available at most tourist attractions in Jodhpur.
14. Accepted Currency and Money:
The local currency in Jodhpur is the Indian Rupee (INR). Major credit cards and debit cards are widely accepted in the city. Tipping is not mandatory, but it is appreciated.
15. Health and Medical Information:
It is recommended to get vaccinated for Hepatitis A and Typhoid before travelling to Jodhpur. There are several hospitals in the city that provide medical services.
16. Packing Tips for Jodhpur:
• It is best to pack light, breathable clothes for the hot weather in Jodhpur.
• It is advisable to pack comfortable footwear.
• It is best to pack a hat, sunscreen, and sunglasses to protect yourself from the sun.
• It is advisable to pack an umbrella or raincoat as there is a chance of rain during the monsoon season.
• It is advisable to pack your passport, travel documents, and money in a safe place.
17. To sum up:
Jodhpur is a beautiful city in Rajasthan, India, renowned for its majestic forts, palaces, and temples. It is the perfect destination for travelers looking to explore the rich culture and history of India.