London is a vibrant city with a rich history, culture, and nightlife. From world-famous landmarks to outdoor activities, there is something for everyone in this bustling metropolis. Here are 17 things to know before travelling to London, England:
1. Destination Overview of London:
London is the capital of England and the United Kingdom, and is one of the world’s most popular tourist destinations. Located on the River Thames, London has a rich history, vibrant culture, and bustling nightlife. It is home to some of the world’s most iconic landmarks, including the Tower of London, Big Ben, and the London Eye.
2. What are the Fun things to do in London?
• Explore the Tower of London and the Crown Jewels
• Visit Buckingham Palace and the Changing of the Guard
• Admire the view from the London Eye
• See a show at the Globe Theatre
• Visit the British Museum and National Gallery
• Take a ride on the London Underground
• Walk along the South Bank of the Thames
• Shop at the world-famous Harrods
• Catch a show in the West End
• Go to the top of the Shard
• Visit St. Paul’s Cathedral
• Enjoy the views from Primrose Hill
• Explore the markets of Camden Town
• Take a boat ride on the Thames
• Visit the Tower Bridge
• Take a tour of Westminster Abbey
• Explore the nightlife in Soho
3. Best Places To Stay in London:
• Luxury Places: The Ritz London, Claridge’s, The Savoy
• Mid Range: The Ampersand Hotel, The Zetter Townhouse Marylebone, The Athenaeum
• Budget Friendly: The Belgrave Hotel, The Globe Hotel, EasyHotel Paddington
4. How to Travel to London?
London is easily accessible by air, rail, and road. The city is served by five international airports, including London Heathrow, London Gatwick, London Stansted, London Luton, and London City Airport. The city is also well-connected to the rest of the UK and Europe by rail, with several train stations located throughout the city. In addition, London is well-served by a network of roads, with regular bus and coach services running to and from the city.
5. Must Try Local Food and Drink in London:
• Fish and Chips
• Sunday Roast
• Shepherd’s Pie
• Afternoon Tea
• Bangers and Mash
• Sticky Toffee Pudding
• Ploughman’s Lunch
• Full English Breakfast
• Scotch Eggs
• Pork Pies
• London Pride Beer
• Mulled Wine
6. Best Places to Eat in London:
• The Ledbury
• The Ivy
• The Palomar
• The River Café
• The Clove Club
• Yum Bun
7. Weather and Climate:
London has a temperate climate with mild summers and cool winters. The best time to visit is during the spring and summer months (April to September) when temperatures are mild and the days are long. Avoid visiting during the winter months (November to March) when temperatures are cooler and there is more rain.
8. Local Customs and Etiquette in London:
Londoners are generally friendly and welcoming, but there are some local customs and etiquette that visitors should be aware of. For example, it is polite to queue in line and be patient when waiting for a bus or train. It is also important to be aware of the city’s strict smoking laws, which prohibit smoking in public places.
9. Popular Scams in London:
• Credit card fraud
• Fake “free” gifts
• Fake taxis
• Fake police officers
• Unofficial money changers
• Overcharging in restaurants
10. Suggested Trip Duration:
A trip to London can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. Most visitors recommend staying at least a week to get a good feel for the city and its attractions.
11. Total Estimated Budget Per Person:
• Stay: £50 – £200 per night
• Food: £10 – £50 per day
• Activities: £10 – £50 per day
• Tickets: £5 – £50 per ticket
12. NearBy Cities:
• Brighton: 88 miles
• Oxford: 63 miles
• Cambridge: 79 miles
• Bath: 94 miles
• Windsor: 19 miles
13. Local Language and Communication in London:
English is the official language of London, and most locals speak it fluently. English guides are available at most tourist attractions, and many restaurants and shops have English-speaking staff.
14. Accepted Currency and Money:
The official currency of London is the British Pound Sterling (GBP). Credit cards are widely accepted, and ATMs are available throughout the city. Tipping is customary in restaurants, pubs, and bars, and 10-15% is usually expected.
15. Health and Medical Information:
It is recommended that travellers to London are up to date on routine vaccinations. Tap water is safe to drink in London, but it is advisable to check with your doctor for any other health precautions before travelling. Medical facilities in London are excellent, and emergency services are readily available.
16. Packing Tips for London:
Pack light, comfortable clothing that can be layered depending on the weather. It is also important to bring comfortable shoes, as London is a very walkable city. A light raincoat or umbrella is also a good idea, as London can be quite rainy.
17. To sum up:
London is a vibrant city with a rich history, culture, and nightlife. From world-famous landmarks to outdoor activities, there is something for everyone in this bustling metropolis. It is best to visit during the spring and summer months when temperatures are mild and the days are long. Be sure to pack light, comfortable clothing, comfortable shoes, and a light raincoat or umbrella.