17 Things To Know Before Travelling to Mandawa, Rajasthan, 323605
1. Destination Overview of Mandawa:
Mandawa is a small town located in the Shekhawati region of Rajasthan. It is known for its colourful frescoes, havelis and forts. The town is especially famous for its grand havelis and painted walls, which depict the life of the Marwari people from the early 20th century. The town is also a popular destination for tourists looking to explore the culture and heritage of Rajasthan.
2. Top Activities to do in Mandawa:
• Exploring the grand havelis: Mandawa is renowned for its grand havelis, which date back to the 18th century. These havelis are decorated with colourful frescoes depicting the life and times of the Marwari people.
• Visiting the fort: Mandawa has an impressive fort, which is believed to have been built in the 18th century. The fort is now a hotel and houses several artifacts from the Marwari period.
• Shopping: Mandawa is a great place to shop for traditional Rajasthani items such as jewellery, clothes and handicrafts. The local markets offer a wide selection of these items.
• Participating in the annual festival: Every year in October, the town of Mandawa celebrates its annual festival, which features traditional Rajasthani music and dance.
3. Best Places To Stay in Mandawa:
• Luxury Places: The Castle Mandawa, The Mandawa Haveli, The Mandawa Retreat.
• Mid Range: Hotel Mandawa Palace, Chokhi Dhani Mandawa, Hotel Haveli Haveli.
• Budget Friendly: Hotel Royal Mandawa, Hotel Heritage Haveli, Hotel Mandawa Haveli.
4. How to Travel to Mandawa?:
The nearest airport to Mandawa is Jaipur International Airport, which is approximately 200 kilometres away. The nearest railway station is Jhunjhunu, which is about 40 kilometres away. Taxis and buses are available for travelling to Mandawa from these locations.
5. Must Try Local Food and Drink in Mandawa:
• Daal Bhati Churma: This is a traditional Rajasthani dish made with lentils, rice and wheat flour.
• Ghevar: This is a sweet dish made with flour, sugar and ghee.
• Ker Sangri: This is a traditional Rajasthani dish made with dried beans and berries.
• Kachori: This is a deep-fried snack made with lentils and spices.
• Makhania Lassi: This is a traditional sweet yogurt drink made with almonds, pistachios and saffron.
• Seasonal Fruits: Mandawa is known for its variety of seasonal fruits, like mangoes, oranges, pomegranates and grapes.
6. Best Places to Eat in Mandawa:
• Chokhi Dhani: This is a popular restaurant with an outdoor seating area. They serve traditional Rajasthani food, including daal bati churma and ker sangri.
• Jhunjhunu Restaurant: This restaurant serves a variety of Indian, Chinese and continental dishes.
• Heritage Haveli Restaurant: This is a popular restaurant that serves traditional Rajasthani and North Indian dishes.
• Café Shekhawati: This is a popular café that serves a variety of snacks and beverages, including tea and coffee.
• Kachori Wala: This is a popular street food joint that serves a variety of kachoris.
7. Weather and Climate:
The best time to visit Mandawa is during the winter months, from October to March. The climate is pleasant during this time and the temperature ranges from 10°C to 25°C. It is advisable to avoid visiting Mandawa during the summer months, as the temperature can reach up to 45°C.
8. Local Customs and Etiquette in Mandawa:
It is important to respect the local customs and culture while travelling to Mandawa. Women should dress modestly and avoid wearing revealing clothing. Alcohol and non-vegetarian food are not widely accepted in the local culture and should be avoided.
9. Popular Scams in Mandawa:
• Unlicensed taxi drivers: It is important to be aware of unlicensed taxi drivers who may charge exorbitant fares or take you to unsafe places.
• Fake guides: It is advisable to avoid fake guides who may try to take you to tourist traps or charge you for unnecessary services.
• Street vendors: Street vendors may try to sell you fake or low quality items at inflated prices.
10. Suggested Trip Duration:
The suggested trip duration to Mandawa is 3-4 days. This is enough time to explore the town and visit the nearby attractions.
11. Total Estimated Budget Per Person:
• Stay: INR 1000-3000
• Food: INR 500-1000
• Activities: INR 500-1000
• Tickets: INR 500-1000
12. NearBy Cities:
• Jhunjhunu: 40 km
• Bikaner: 160 km
• Jaipur: 200 km
• Delhi: 275 km
13. Local Language and Communication in Mandawa:
The official language of Mandawa is Hindi. English is also widely spoken and understood. English-speaking guides are available at the tourist destinations and they usually charge around INR 1000 per day.
14. Accepted Currency and Money:
The local currency in Mandawa is the Indian Rupee. Major credit cards are accepted at most hotels and restaurants. Tipping is not common in Mandawa, but it is appreciated if the service is good.
15. Health and Medical Information:
It is advisable to get vaccinated against common diseases like typhoid and hepatitis A before travelling to Mandawa. There are several medical facilities in the town, and the nearest hospital is located in Jhunjhunu, which is about 40 kilometres away.
16. Packing Tips for Mandawa:
It is advisable to pack light and comfortable clothing for your trip to Mandawa. Comfortable shoes and a hat are also recommended. It is also advised to carry some sunscreen and a first aid kit.
17. To sum up:
Mandawa is a small town in Rajasthan known for its grand havelis and colourful frescoes, and is a great destination to explore the culture and heritage of Rajasthan.