17 Things To Know Before Travelling to Osian, Rajasthan, 307026
1. Destination Overview of Osian:
Osian is a town located in the Jodhpur district of Rajasthan. It is an ancient town that was once a major trading center in the 8th century. It is known for its ancient temples, which are relics of bygone era. The most famous temple is the Sachiya Mata Temple, which is dedicated to the goddess Sachiya. Other attractions include Jain temples, Havelis, sand dunes, and wildlife safari.
2. Top Activities to do in Osian:
• Visit the Sachiya Mata Temple: This is one of the most famous temples in Osian and is dedicated to the goddess Sachiya.
• Explore the Jain Temples: Osian is home to several ancient Jain temples, including the 45-foot-tall Shree Sambhavanath Jain Temple.
• Take a camel safari: Explore the sand dunes on a camel safari and enjoy the sunset views.
• Go on a wildlife safari: Explore the local wildlife in Rajasthan’s Thar Desert.
• Visit the Havelis: Explore the many Havelis located in Osian, including the Rani Haveli and the Pithla Haveli.
3. Best Places To Stay in Osian:
• Luxury Places: The Heritage Hotel, The Pal Haveli, The Haveli Resort.
• Mid Range: Utsav Haveli, Hotel Haveli, Hotel Vimal.
• Budget Friendly: Hotel Raj, Hotel Osian Retreat, Hotel Neelam.
4. How to Travel to Osian?:
The nearest airport is Jaipur International Airport, which is about 250 km away from Osian. The nearest railway station is Jodhpur Railway Station, which is about 90 km away from Osian. You can also take a bus from Jodhpur to Osian.
5. Must Try Local Food and Drink in Osian:
• Rajasthani Dal: A dish made with lentils and spices.
• Panchratan Korma: A dish made with five different types of vegetables.
• Khichdi: A dish made with rice and lentils.
• Kachori: A deep-fried snack made with a spicy filling.
• Gujia: A sweet pastry filled with khoya, nuts, and dry fruits.
• Ghevar: A sweet made with milk, flour, and sugar.
• Makke Ki Roti: A flatbread made with corn flour.
• Laal Maas: A spicy curry made with mutton and red chilies.
• Kair Sangri: A dish made with dried beans and berries.
• Besan Ka Halwa: A sweet made with gram flour and sugar.
• Kesar Kulfi: A frozen dessert made with milk and saffron.
6. Best Places to Eat in Osian:
• Ramdev Restaurant: Try the Dal Bati Churma and Kair Sangri.
• Hotel Vimal: Try the Laal Maas and Kachori.
• Moksha Restaurant: Try the Kesar Kulfi and Panchratan Korma.
• Pabuji Ki Rasoi: Try the Gujia and Ghevar.
• Shri Rangji Restaurant: Try the Makke Ki Roti and Besan Ka Halwa.
7. Weather and Climate:
The best time to visit Osian is from October to February. The temperature during this time is pleasant and the climate is dry. Summers are hot and dry with temperatures reaching up to 40 degrees Celsius. The monsoon season is from July to September and the region receives moderate rainfall.
8. Local Customs and Etiquette in Osian:
It is important to dress modestly in Osian. Women should cover their legs and arms while visiting the temples. It is also important to remove your shoes before entering the temples. Tipping is expected in restaurants and taxis, but not in other places like shops.
9. Popular Scams in Osian:
• Be wary of taxi drivers who offer to take you to remote places.
• Be aware of pickpockets in crowded areas.
• Be cautious when exchanging money, as there are many counterfeit notes in circulation.
• Do not buy items from street vendors, as they are often fake or of poor quality.
10. Suggested Trip Duration:
The recommended trip duration for Osian is 2-3 days.
11. Total Estimated Budget Per Person:
• Stay: INR 1400-5000 per night
• Food: INR 150-500 per meal
• Activities: INR 1000-3000
• Tickets: INR 500-1500
12. NearBy Cities:
• Jodhpur: 90 km
• Jaisalmer: 200 km
• Udaipur: 250 km
• Jaipur: 250 km
• Bikaner: 320 km
13. Local Language and Communication in Osian:
The official language in Osian is Hindi. English is widely spoken in the tourist areas. It is also useful to learn a few basic words and phrases in Hindi, such as ‘Namaste’ (Hello) and ‘Shukriya’ (Thank you). English-speaking guides are available at the tourist destinations for a nominal fee.
14. Accepted Currency and Money:
The official currency in Osian is the Indian Rupee (INR). The currency is accepted in most places, but it is advisable to carry cash with you as some places may not accept credit cards or foreign currency. Tipping is expected in restaurants and taxis, but not in other places like shops.
15. Health and Medical Information:
It is recommended to get vaccinated for Hepatitis A and B, Typhoid, and Tetanus before travelling to Osian. It is also important to carry a first aid kit with you at all times. There are several medical facilities in Osian, including hospitals, clinics, and pharmacies.
16. Packing Tips for Osian:
It is important to pack appropriate clothing and footwear for your trip to Osian. The climate is hot and dry in the summers, so it is important to pack light cotton clothing and a sunhat. It is also important to pack comfortable shoes, as you will be doing a lot of walking.
17. To sum up:
Osian is a town located in the Jodhpur district of Rajasthan and is known for its ancient temples, Jain temples, Havelis, sand dunes, and wildlife safari. The best time to visit Osian is from October to February.