17 Things To Know Before Travelling to Sawai Madhopur, Rajasthan, 322023
1. Destination Overview of Sawai Madhopur:
Sawai Madhopur is a city and a municipality in the Sawai Madhopur district of Rajasthan, India. It is the administrative headquarters of the district and is located near the eastern boundary of Rajasthan state. It is known for the Ranthambore National Park and its fort. The fort was built in the 10th century and was once a residence of the Maharajas of Jaipur.
2. Top Activities to do in Sawai Madhopur:
• Ranthambore National Park: It is one of the largest and most famous national parks in India. It is known for its tigers and other wildlife, and it is a popular destination for safaris.
• Ranthambore Fort: It is an ancient fort situated in the Ranthambore National Park. It is known for its architecture and the many stories and legends associated with it.
• Wildlife Safari: Wildlife safaris are a popular activity in the Ranthambore National Park. It is a great way to explore the park and observe the wildlife in its natural habitat.
• Bird Watching: Bird watching is a popular activity in the Ranthambore National Park. It is a great way to observe the variety of birds in the park.
• Jogi Mahal: Jogi Mahal is a palace situated in the Ranthambore National Park. It is known for its architecture and the many stories and legends associated with it.
• Padam Talao: Padam Talao is a lake situated in the Ranthambore National Park. It is known for its beautiful scenery and the many birds that can be seen here.
• Kachida Valley: Kachida Valley is a valley situated in the Ranthambore National Park. It is known for its wildlife, including tigers, leopards and various species of deer.
• Rajiv Gandhi Regional Museum of Natural History: The museum is situated in the Ranthambore National Park. It is known for its natural history exhibits, and it is a great place to learn about the flora and fauna of the park.
3. Best Places To Stay in Sawai Madhopur:
• Luxury Places: Tiger Den Resort, The Oberoi Vanyavilas, Ranthambore Regency.
• Mid Range: Hotel Tiger Inn, Ranthambhore Forest Resort, Ranthambore Heritage Haveli.
• Budget Friendly: Hotel Royal Orchid, Ranthambore Palace Resort, Ranthambore Bagh.
4. How to Travel to Sawai Madhopur?:
The nearest airport is Jaipur International Airport, which is located approximately 180 km away. The nearest railway station is Sawai Madhopur Railway Station, which is located approximately 5 km away. Taxis and buses are available from the airport and railway station to Sawai Madhopur.
5. Must Try Local Food and Drink in Sawai Madhopur:
• Mirchi Vada: A popular snack made with chillies, potatoes and gram flour.
• Kachori: A deep-fried snack made with lentils and spices.
• Bajra Roti: A flatbread made with millet flour.
• Besan ki Barfi: A sweet made with chickpea flour, sugar, and ghee.
• Panchmel Ki Dal: A spicy lentil dish made with five different types of lentils.
• Dal Baati Churma: A popular Rajasthani dish made with lentils and wheat.
• Ghevar: A sweet made with flour, ghee, and sugar.
• Kesar Badam Milk: A sweet almond milk drink made with saffron and cardamom.
• Imli Ka Sharbat: A sweet and tangy tamarind drink.
• Mawa Kachori: A sweet snack made with mawa, khoya, and semolina.
6. Best Places to Eat in Sawai Madhopur:
• Ranthambore Fort Restaurant: A popular restaurant known for its traditional Rajasthani cuisine.
• Royal Orchid Restaurant: A multi-cuisine restaurant serving North Indian, Chinese, and Continental dishes.
• Tiger Den Resort Restaurant: A restaurant serving authentic Rajasthani cuisine.
• Hotel Tiger Inn Restaurant: A restaurant serving traditional Indian and Chinese dishes.
• Ranthambore Heritage Haveli Restaurant: A restaurant serving traditional Rajasthani cuisine.
7. Weather and Climate:
The best time to visit Sawai Madhopur is from October to March, when the weather is pleasant and the temperature ranges from 10°C to 40°C. Summers are hot and dry and the temperature can reach up to 45°C. Monsoons begin in June and continue till September. The months of June, July and August should be avoided due to heavy rains.
8. Local Customs and Etiquette in Sawai Madhopur:
It is customary to remove your shoes before entering a temple or holy place. In some places, it is also considered polite to cover your head when entering a temple or a place of worship. It is important to dress modestly and respect local customs and traditions.
9. Popular Scams in Sawai Madhopur:
• Overcharging: Tourists should be aware of being overcharged by taxi drivers, auto rickshaw drivers, and shopkeepers.
• Credit Card Fraud: Tourists should be cautious when using their credit cards and should not trust anyone with their credit card information.
• Fake Tour Guides: Tourists should be wary of fake tour guides who may try to take them to shops or restaurants that are owned by them or their friends.
10. Suggested Trip Duration:
The suggested duration for a first-time traveler to Sawai Madhopur is 3 to 4 days.
11. Total Estimated Budget Per Person:
The estimated budget per person for a 3-4 day trip to Sawai Madhopur is:
• Stay: INR 2000 – 4000
• Food: INR 500 – 1000
• Activities: INR 1000 – 2000
• Tickets: INR 500 – 1000
12. NearBy Cities:
• Jaipur: 180 km
• Kota: 94 km
• Bharatpur: 195 km
• Pushkar: 107 km
• Chittorgarh: 151 km
13. Local Language and Communication in Sawai Madhopur:
The official languages spoken in Sawai Madhopur are Hindi and English. English-speaking guides are available at most tourist destinations.
14. Accepted Currency and Money:
The local currency is the Indian Rupee (INR). Major credit cards are accepted at most hotels and restaurants. Tipping is not common in Sawai Madhopur.
15. Health and Medical Information:
Vaccinations are not required for travel to Sawai Madhopur. There are several medical facilities and hospitals in the area.
16. Packing Tips for Sawai Madhopur:
It is recommended to pack light and comfortable clothing, including cotton fabrics. Sunscreen and sunglasses are also recommended. Footwear should be comfortable and sturdy, as the terrain can be uneven.
17. To sum up:
Sawai Madhopur is a city in Rajasthan renowned for the Ranthambore National Park and its fort, offering wildlife safaris, bird watching, and exploration of its history and culture.