Udaipur, the City of Lakes, is a popular tourist destination located in the state of Rajasthan, India. It is known for its stunning palaces, temples, and culture, and is one of the most visited cities in the country. Here are 17 things to know before travelling to Udaipur:
1. Destination Overview of Udaipur:
Udaipur is a city in the state of Rajasthan, India, located on the banks of Lake Pichola. It is known for its historical monuments, palaces, and temples, as well as its cultural heritage. Udaipur is home to many tourist attractions including the City Palace, Fateh Sagar Lake, and Jag Mandir Palace.
2. Top Activities to do in Udaipur:
• Sightseeing at the City Palace, Jag Mandir, and Lake Pichola
• Boating on Lake Pichola
• Shopping at the local markets
• Visiting the vintage car museum
• Exploring the nearby forts and palaces
• Enjoying a traditional Rajasthani dinner
• Taking a camel or horse ride
• Watching a classical dance performance
3. Best Places To Stay in Udaipur:
• Luxury Places: The Leela Palace, Oberoi Udaivilas, Taj Lake Palace
• Mid-Range: Ramada Udaipur Resort & Spa, Zostel Udaipur, The Royal Retreat
• Budget Friendly: Hotel Ambika Palace, Hotel Imperial Palace, Hotel Sarovar
4. How to Travel to Udaipur?:
Udaipur is accessible by air, rail, and road. The nearest airport is Maharana Pratap Airport (UDR), which is about 22 km from the city centre. The Udaipur City Railway Station is the main railway station, located just 2.5 km from the city centre. There are also regular bus services from Udaipur to various cities in Rajasthan and other nearby states.
5. Must Try Local Food and Drink in Udaipur:
• Dal Baati Churma
• Gatte ki Sabzi
• Pyaaz Kachori
• Mirchi Bada
• Laal Maans
• Laal Maas
• Mawa Kachori
• Boondi Raita
• Seasonal Fruit: Mango, Ber, Jamun, Apricot
6. Best Places to Eat in Udaipur:
• Ambrai – Famous for its lakeside setting and views of the City Palace
• Upre – Popular for its traditional Rajasthani cuisine
• The Roof Top – Specialising in North Indian, Continental, and Mediterranean cuisine
• Natraj – Famous for its authentic Rajasthani thalis
• The Golden Chariot – Well known for its Mughlai, Chinese, and North Indian dishes
7. Weather and Climate:
Udaipur experiences hot, dry weather from April to June, and the monsoon season lasts from July to September. The winter season (October to March) is the best time to visit, as the temperature is much cooler and the climate is pleasant. Avoid travelling during the summer months (April to June) due to the extreme heat.
8. Local Customs and Etiquette in Udaipur:
Udaipur is a very conservative city and visitors are expected to dress modestly, especially when visiting temples and other religious sites. It is also important to take off your shoes before entering any temple or shrine. Tipping is not expected but is appreciated.
9. Popular Scams in Udaipur:
• Fake police officers asking for fines
• Taxi drivers charging extra fare
• Fake guides offering their services
• Fake shops selling counterfeit goods
• People offering to exchange money at a better rate
10. Suggested Trip Duration:
A minimum of 3 days is recommended for a first-time traveller to Udaipur to explore the city properly.
11. Total Estimated Budget Per Person:
• Stay: INR 1500-3000/night
• Food: INR 400-1000/day
• Activities: INR 300-1500/day
• Tickets: INR 250-500/day
• Any Other: INR 100-500/day
12. NearBy Cities:
• Chittorgarh: 97 km
• Jaipur: 264 km
• Jodhpur: 253 km
• Ajmer: 191 km
• Pushkar: 205 km
• Mount Abu: 191 km
13. Local Language and Communication in Udaipur:
The official language of Udaipur is Hindi, although English is also widely spoken. Some common phrases that travellers should know include “Namaste” (Hello), “Shukriya” (Thank you), and “Kya aap angrezi bhasha bolte hai?” (Do you speak English?).
14. Accepted Currency and Money:
The local currency is the Indian Rupee (INR). Major credit cards and debit cards are accepted in most places, although it is recommended to carry some cash for smaller transactions. Tipping is not expected but is appreciated.
15. Health and Medical Information:
It is recommended to get vaccinated for typhoid, Hepatitis A, and rabies before travelling to Udaipur. There are also several hospitals and medical centers in the city, including Shri Ram Hospital and Jivanta Children’s Hospital.
16. Packing Tips for Udaipur:
Pack light, comfortable clothing and footwear, such as cotton clothes and sandals. Bring a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen to protect against the sun. It is also recommended to bring a light jacket or sweater for the cooler evenings.
17. To sum up:
Udaipur, the City of Lakes, is a popular tourist destination in Rajasthan, India, known for its stunning palaces, temples, and culture. It is best visited during the winter months of October to March and offers plenty of sightseeing, shopping, and dining experiences.