17 Things To Know Before Travelling to Uttar Pradesh, India
1. Destination Overview of Uttar Pradesh:
Uttar Pradesh is a state located in Northern India, and is bordered by Rajasthan, Haryana, Delhi, Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and Bihar. It has a rich cultural heritage, and is home to various religions, including Hinduism, Islam and Buddhism. It is also known for its many monuments, temples, and forts, making it a popular tourist destination.
2. Top Activities to do in Uttar Pradesh:
• Visit the Taj Mahal, one of the most iconic monuments in India, located in Agra.
• Explore the ancient city of Varanasi, the spiritual capital of India.
• Visit the famous temples of Mathura, the birthplace of Lord Krishna.
• Visit the holy city of Allahabad and take part in the Kumbh Mela, a once-in-12-year religious festival.
• Spend a day in Lucknow, the capital of Uttar Pradesh and experience its unique Mughal-style architecture.
• Explore the ancient city of Ayodhya, the birthplace of Lord Rama.
• Visit the city of Kanpur and experience the ancient monuments and temples.
• Visit the beautiful city of Jhansi and explore its many forts and monuments.
• Visit the city of Agra and explore the Taj Mahal and the Agra Fort.
3. Best Places to Stay in Uttar Pradesh:
• The Oberoi Amarvilas, Agra
• The Lalit, Lucknow
• Clarks Awadh, Lucknow
• Treebo Trend OYO Hotel, Agra
• Hotel Kanha Grand, Agra
• The Golden Turtle, Lucknow
• Hotel Tourist, Agra
• Hotel Singh Palace, Agra
• Hotel White Pearl, Lucknow
4. How to Travel to Uttar Pradesh?:
Uttar Pradesh is easily accessible by air, train, and road. The state has several domestic and international airports, including the Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport in Lucknow, Agra Airport, Varanasi Airport, and Gorakhpur Airport. There are also several railway stations in the state, as well as regular bus services connecting the major cities.
5. Must Try Local Food and Drink in Uttar Pradesh:
• Kebabs: Mughlai kebabs are popular in Uttar Pradesh and are often served with naan.
• Samosa: Samosas are a popular snack in the state and are usually filled with potatoes or lentils.
• Chaat: Chaat is a popular street food in Uttar Pradesh, and can be found in many parts of the state.
• Lassi: A cold, creamy yoghurt drink, lassi is a popular drink in Uttar Pradesh.
• Malaiyo: Malaiyo is a popular sweet dish made from milk and sugar.
• Gulab Jamun: Gulab jamun is a popular sweet dish made from milk and sugar.
• Jalebi: Jalebi is another popular sweet dish made from flour and syrup.
• Kaddu Ka Halwa: Kaddu ka halwa is a popular dessert made from pumpkin and milk.
• Gajar Ka Halwa: Gajar ka halwa is a popular dessert made from carrots and milk.
• Kulfi: Kulfi is a popular frozen dessert made from milk and flavoured with cardamom or rosewater.
6. Best Places to Eat in Uttar Pradesh:
• Tunday Kababi, Lucknow
• Bikanervala, Lucknow
• The Great Kabab Factory, Agra
• Royal Cafe, Agra
• Mr. Brown Bakery, Agra
7. Weather and Climate:
Uttar Pradesh has a subtropical climate with hot summers and cool winters. The best time to visit Uttar Pradesh is from October to March, as the weather is pleasant during this time. The months of April and May can be very hot and humid, and travellers should avoid travelling during this time.
8. Local Customs and Etiquette in Uttar Pradesh:
Uttar Pradesh is a conservative state, and visitors should dress modestly and respect local customs. It is considered rude to point with your feet, and visitors should be aware of their body language and gestures. Tipping is not expected, but is appreciated.
9. Popular Scams in Uttar Pradesh:
• Fake Tour Guides: Be wary of fake tour guides who may try to scam tourists.
• Unofficial Tour Operators: Be wary of unofficial tour operators who may try to charge exorbitant prices.
• Overcharging: Some taxi drivers may try to overcharge foreign tourists.
• Fake Police: Be wary of fake police officers who may try to scam tourists.
10. Suggested Trip Duration:
A trip to Uttar Pradesh should last at least 7 days in order to experience all the major attractions in the state.
11. Total Estimated Budget Per Person:
The total estimated budget per person for a 7-day trip to Uttar Pradesh is approximately INR 15,000-20,000.
12. NearBy Cities:
• New Delhi (248 km)
• Agra (264 km)
• Mathura (169 km)
• Allahabad (264 km)
• Varanasi (331 km)
• Lucknow (414 km)
• Bareilly (241 km)
13. Local Language and Communication in Uttar Pradesh:
The official language of Uttar Pradesh is Hindi. English is also widely spoken in the state, and many people also speak Urdu. English-speaking guides can be found at most tourist destinations.
14. Accepted Currency and Money:
The currency accepted in Uttar Pradesh is the Indian Rupee (INR). Credit cards are widely accepted in the state, as are ATM cards. Tipping is not expected, but is appreciated.
15. Health and Medical Information:
Travellers to Uttar Pradesh should be up to date on routine vaccinations, including measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria, and polio. It is also recommended to get vaccinated for hepatitis A and typhoid.
16. Packing Tips for Uttar Pradesh:
Travellers to Uttar Pradesh should pack lightweight, loose-fitting clothing and comfortable walking shoes. Sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat are also recommended. A light jacket and scarf may also be needed, depending on the season.
17. To sum up:
Uttar Pradesh is a state located in Northern India and is known for its rich cultural heritage, iconic monuments, and spiritual sites, making it a popular tourist destination.