17 Things To Know Before Travelling to Coimbatore, Pin Code: 641001
1. Destination Overview of Coimbatore:
Located in the state of Tamil Nadu, Coimbatore is a bustling city known for its rich culture, history, and natural beauty. It is also known as the “Manchester of South India” due to its textile industry. Coimbatore is famous for its temples, wildlife sanctuaries, and mouth-watering South Indian cuisine.
2. What are the Fun things to do in Coimbatore?
1. Visit the Marudamalai Temple for its beautiful architecture and peaceful atmosphere.
2. Explore the Western Ghats by trekking to the top of the famous Dhoni Hills.
3. Take a stroll in the serene and picturesque Kovai Kutralam Falls.
4. Get up close with wildlife at the Indira Gandhi Wildlife Sanctuary.
5. Experience the local culture at the colorful and vibrant Anamalai Market.
3. Best Places To Stay in Coimbatore:
1. Vivanta Coimbatore – Located in the heart of the city with luxurious amenities and a stunning view of the city.
2. Le Meridien Coimbatore – A five-star hotel with elegant rooms and top-notch service.
3. The Residency Towers Coimbatore – Known for its modern and comfortable rooms and convenient location.
1. Zone by The Park Coimbatore – A budget-friendly hotel with well-equipped rooms and a central location.
2. Hotel Heritage Inn – A cozy hotel with friendly staff and easy access to major tourist attractions.
3. The Arcadia – A comfortable hotel with a rooftop restaurant offering scenic views of the city.
1. Hotel Alankar Grande – A budget hotel with clean and comfortable rooms and a prime location.
2. Hotel Mangala International – A budget hotel with spacious rooms and friendly staff.
3. Hotel CAG Pride – A budget hotel with modern amenities and a convenient location.
4. How to Travel to Coimbatore?
The nearest airport is Coimbatore International Airport, which is well-connected to major cities in India. Coimbatore Junction is the main railway station in the city, with trains from all major cities. Local transportation options include buses, taxis, and auto-rickshaws.
5. Must Try Local Food and Drink in Coimbatore:
1. Idli and Dosa – These South Indian staples are a must-try in Coimbatore.
2. Biryani – Coimbatore is known for its flavorful and spicy biryani.
3. Murukku – A popular snack made from rice flour and spices.
4. Filter Coffee – A strong and delicious coffee made with a traditional filter.
5. Jigarthanda – A refreshing drink made with milk, almond gum, and ice cream.
6. Best Places to Eat in Coimbatore:
Non Vegetarian (Non Veg) restaurant in Coimbatore:
1. Junior Kuppanna – Known for its mouth-watering biryani and other non-vegetarian dishes.
2. Anjappar – A popular restaurant serving authentic Chettinad cuisine.
3. Hotel Kannappa – Famous for its delicious and spicy mutton biryani.
Pure Vegetarian (Pure Veg) restaurant in Coimbatore:
1. Sree Annapoorna Sree Gowrishankar – A popular vegetarian restaurant with a variety of dishes.
2. Shree Anandhaas – Known for its delicious South Indian thali and filter coffee.
3. A2B – A vegetarian restaurant with a wide range of dishes and a cozy ambiance.
Vegetarian (Jain) restaurant in Coimbatore:
1. Sree Annapoorna Sree Gowrishankar – Serves delicious Jain-friendly dishes.
2. Hotel Kannappa – Offers a variety of Jain dishes along with non-vegetarian options.
3. Anjappar – Known for its Jain-friendly Chettinad cuisine.
7. Weather and Climate:
The best time to visit Coimbatore is from October to March when the weather is pleasant. Summers (April-June) can be hot and humid, and monsoons (July-September) can bring heavy rainfall. It is best to avoid visiting during the months of May and June due to the scorching heat.
8. Local Customs and Etiquette in Coimbatore:
1. It is customary to remove footwear before entering a temple or someone’s home.
2. Dress modestly, especially when visiting religious places.
3. Tipping is not common in Coimbatore, but you can tip waiters and taxi drivers if you are satisfied with their service.
9. Popular Scams in Coimbatore:
1. Be cautious of people offering to take you to hidden or secret tourist spots.
2. Be wary of touts offering cheap deals on tours and transportation.
3. Avoid giving money to beggars, as they may be a part of a scam.
10. Suggested Trip Duration:
3-4 days is an ideal duration to explore Coimbatore and its nearby attractions.
11. Total Estimated Budget Per Person:
Stay: The average cost of a mid-range hotel in Coimbatore is around INR 1500 per night.
Food: A meal at a local restaurant can cost anywhere between INR 200-500 per person.
Activities: Most attractions in Coimbatore have an entry fee of around INR 50-100 per person.
Tickets: The cost of transportation and tickets to nearby attractions can vary depending on the mode of transportation and distance.
12. NearBy Cities:
1. Ooty – 85 km
2. Munnar – 160 km
3. Kochi – 190 km
4. Coonoor – 70 km
5. Kodaikanal – 270 km
13. Local Language and Communication in Coimbatore:
Tamil is the official language spoken in Coimbatore. However, most people can understand and speak basic English. Some common phrases in Tamil are:
1. Hello – Vanakkam
2. Thank you – Nandri
3. How much does it cost? – Eppadi da?
English guides are available at major tourist attractions and charge around INR 500-1000 for a tour.
14. Accepted Currency and Money:
The official currency of India is Indian Rupees (INR). Credit and debit cards are widely accepted in Coimbatore, but it is advisable to carry cash for smaller purchases. Tipping is not common in Coimbatore, but you can tip 10% of the total bill at high-end restaurants.
15. Health and Medical Information:
It is recommended to get vaccinated for diseases like typhoid, hepatitis A and B, and tetanus before traveling to Coimbatore. It is also advisable to carry a first-aid kit and necessary medications. In case of a medical emergency, you can visit a government hospital or a private hospital like KG Hospital or Ganga Hospital.
16. Packing Tips for Coimbatore:
1. Carry comfortable and modest clothing, especially if you plan on visiting religious places.
2. Pack sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat to protect yourself from the sun.
3. Carry insect repellent and a raincoat or umbrella, depending on the season.
4. Don’t forget to pack comfortable walking shoes for exploring the city.
17. To sum up:
Coimbatore is a vibrant city with a rich culture, delicious food, and plenty of tourist attractions. It is best to visit during the winter months for a comfortable and enjoyable trip. Remember to be cautious of scams and follow local customs and etiquette to have a safe and memorable trip.