17 Things To Know Before Travelling to Udaipur, Rajasthan, India
1. Destination Overview of Udaipur:
Udaipur is a beautiful city located in the Indian state of Rajasthan. It is known as the Venice of the East, thanks to its many canals, lakes, and beautiful palaces. Udaipur is renowned for its culture and art, including its traditional Rajasthani cuisine, its ancient forts, and its vibrant festivals.
2. Top Activities to do in Udaipur:
• Visit the City Palace: The City Palace is Udaipur’s most iconic attraction and is a must-visit for all tourists. Explore the palace grounds, learn about its rich history, and get a glimpse of the luxury and grandeur of the former Maharajas of Udaipur.
• Have a boat ride in Lake Pichola: Take a boat ride in Lake Pichola and enjoy the beauty of Udaipur’s many palaces and temples that line the lake’s banks.
• Explore the Jagdish Temple: The Jagdish Temple is one of the most famous temples in Udaipur and a must-visit for all tourists.
• Visit the Saheliyon-ki-Bari: Saheliyon-ki-Bari is a beautiful garden in Udaipur and is a great spot for a leisurely stroll.
• Take a Sunset Tour of Udaipur: Take a sunset tour of Udaipur and explore the city’s many forts, palaces, and temples in the golden light of the setting sun.
• Visit the Monsoon Palace: The Monsoon Palace is one of the most iconic sights of Udaipur and is a great spot to enjoy the amazing views of the city.
• Attend a Rajasthani folk dance performance: Udaipur’s traditional Rajasthani folk dances are a great way to experience the local culture and customs.
• Explore the Udaipur City Museum: The Udaipur City Museum is a great place to learn about the city’s history and culture.
• Go shopping at the local markets: Udaipur’s many bustling markets are a great place to get souvenirs and unique items.
• Visit the Fateh Sagar Lake: Fateh Sagar Lake is a beautiful lake located in the heart of Udaipur and is a great spot for a leisurely stroll.
3. Best Places To Stay in Udaipur:
• Luxury Places: The Oberoi Udaivilas, The Leela Palace Udaipur, Taj Lake Palace
• Mid Range: The Ananta Udaipur, Fateh Prakash Palace, Jagat Niwas Palace
• Budget Friendly: Hotel Suncity, Hotel Rajdhani, Hotel Hill View
4. How to Travel to Udaipur?:
The best way to travel to Udaipur is by air. The nearest airport is the Maharana Pratap Airport, located about 25 km away from the city. From the airport, you can take a taxi or a bus to reach Udaipur. Alternatively, you can also take a train to Udaipur. The nearest railway station is the Udaipur City Railway Station, located about 5 km away from the city.
5. Must Try Local Food and Drink in Udaipur:
• Laal Maas: Laal Maas is a spicy meat curry prepared with red chillies and other spices.
• Pyaaz Kachori: Pyaaz Kachori is a popular snack made with deep-fried dough and stuffed with onions.
• Dal Baati Churma: Dal Baati Churma is a popular Rajasthani dish made with lentils, wheat dough, and ghee.
• Kair Sangri: Kair Sangri is a traditional Rajasthani dish made with dried beans and berries.
• Gujia: Gujia is a sweet pastry filled with dry fruits and khoya.
• Ghevar: Ghevar is a sweet, deep-fried cake made with all-purpose flour and served with rabri.
• Thandai: Thandai is a popular cold drink made with milk, almonds, and other spices.
• Kalakand: Kalakand is a sweet made with condensed milk, paneer, and cardamom.
• Malpua: Malpua is a sweet, deep-fried pancake made with all-purpose flour, sugar, and cardamom.
6. Best Places to Eat in Udaipur:
• Ambrai Restaurant: Ambrai Restaurant is one of the best restaurants in Udaipur and is known for its traditional Rajasthani cuisine. Must-try dishes include Laal Maas, Paneer Tikka, and Dal Baati Churma.
• Sukhadia Circle: Sukhadia Circle is a popular fast-food joint in Udaipur and is known for its delicious snacks and chaats. Must-try dishes include Pyaaz Kachori, Aloo Tikki, and Samosa.
• Rooftop at The City Palace: The Rooftop at The City Palace is a great place to enjoy the amazing views of Udaipur while feasting on delicious Rajasthani cuisine. Must-try dishes include Laal Maas, Ghevar, and Kair Sangri.
• MoMo Cafe: MoMo Cafe is a popular cafe in Udaipur and is known for its delicious North Indian and Chinese dishes. Must-try dishes include Veg Hakka Noodles, Paneer Butter Masala, and Chilli Paneer.
7. Weather and Climate:
Udaipur has a hot and humid climate. Summers are hot and dry, with temperatures ranging from 90 – 100°F (32 – 38°C). Winters are mild and pleasant, with temperatures ranging from 60 – 70°F (15 – 21°C). The best time to visit Udaipur is during the winter months, from November to February.
8. Local Customs and Etiquette in Udaipur:
When visiting Udaipur, it is important to respect the local customs and etiquette. It is important to dress modestly and avoid wearing revealing clothing. Women should wear loose-fitting clothes that cover their shoulders and knees. It is also important to remember to remove your shoes before entering a temple or religious place.
9. Popular Scams in Udaipur:
Be aware of scams such as overcharging for taxi rides, offering free gifts and then asking for money for them, and people posing as tour guides. It is also important to be aware of pickpockets and bag snatchers in crowded places.
10. Suggested Trip Duration:
The suggested trip duration for Udaipur is 3-4 days.
11. Total Estimated Budget Per Person:
The total estimated budget per person for a 3-4 day trip to Udaipur is approximately $150-$200.
12. NearBy Cities:
• Chittorgarh – 60 km
• Jaipur – 260 km
• Jodhpur – 250 km
• Ajmer – 140 km
• Pushkar – 130 km
13. Local Language and Communication in Udaipur:
The local language spoken in Udaipur is Hindi, but English is also widely spoken. There are many English-speaking guides available in Udaipur who can help you explore the city.
14. Accepted Currency and Money:
The local currency in Udaipur is the Indian Rupee (INR). Credit cards are accepted at most tourist spots and restaurants, but it is advised to carry cash as well. Tipping is not common in Udaipur, but it is appreciated if the service is good.
15. Health and Medical Information:
It is important to take the necessary health precautions while travelling to Udaipur. Make sure to get vaccinated before travelling and carry the necessary medications with you. In case of any medical emergency, there are many hospitals and medical facilities in Udaipur.
16. Packing Tips for Udaipur:
When packing for Udaipur, it is important to pack light and comfortable clothing. The weather in Udaipur is hot and humid, so it is important to pack light, breathable fabrics such as cotton and linen. Also, don’t forget to bring sunglasses, sunscreen, and a hat to protect yourself from the sun.
17. To sum up:
Udaipur is a beautiful city in Rajasthan, India renowned for its culture and art, including its traditional Rajasthani cuisine, its ancient forts, and its vibrant festivals. From boat rides in Lake Pichola