17 Things To Know Before Travelling to Alwar, Rajasthan, 301001
1. Destination Overview of Alwar:
Alwar is a city in the Indian state of Rajasthan. It is the administrative headquarters of Alwar District, and was formerly the capital of the princely state of Alwar or Ulwar in British India. It is part of the National Capital Region and is located around 160 km south of Delhi and about 150 km north of Jaipur. Alwar is famous for its lakes and palaces.
2. Top Activities to do in Alwar:
• Bala Quila: Bala Quila is an ancient fort situated in Alwar. It is believed to be over 500 years old, and is one of the oldest forts in Rajasthan.
• Sariska Tiger Reserve: Sariska Tiger Reserve is a national park situated in the Alwar district of Rajasthan. It is home to a wide variety of flora and fauna, including tigers, leopards, sloth bears, wild boars, and several species of birds.
• City Palace: City Palace is a beautiful palace located in Alwar. It was built in the 19th century by Maharaja Jai Singh and is known for its grand architecture and opulent interiors.
• Siliserh Lake: Siliserh Lake is a picturesque lake located in Alwar. It is a popular spot for bird watching, and is surrounded by the majestic Aravalli hills.
• Bharthari Temple: Bharthari Temple is a Hindu temple located in Alwar. It is dedicated to the Hindu god Vishnu, and is said to be over 400 years old.
3. Best Places To Stay in Alwar:
• Luxury Places: The Oberoi Udaivilas, The Treehouse Hotel, The Leela Palace
• Mid Range: Hotel Sariska Palace, Hotel Alwar Palace, Alwar Bagh
• Budget Friendly: Hotel Basera, Hotel Rajmahal, Hotel City Palace
4. How to Travel to Alwar?:
Alwar is easily accessible by road from Delhi and Jaipur. There are regular buses from both cities. The nearest airport is Jaipur International Airport, located about 150 km away. Alwar is also well connected by rail, and there are regular trains from Delhi, Jaipur and other cities.
5. Must Try Local Food and Drink in Alwar:
• Dal-Baati-Churma: This is a popular Rajasthani dish which is a combination of lentils, unleavened bread and sweetened wheat.
• Gatte Ka Pulao: This is a vegetarian dish made with gram flour dumplings cooked in rice.
• Laal Maas: This is a spicy meat curry made with red chillies, curd and spices.
• Kachori: This is a popular snack made with lentil stuffing and deep fried.
• Guava: Guava is a seasonal fruit which is available in Alwar during the months of April and May.
6. Best Places to Eat in Alwar:
• The Café Alwar: This is a popular café located in the heart of Alwar. It serves a variety of dishes, ranging from Italian to Indian.
• Bikanervala: This is a chain of restaurants in Alwar which serves traditional Rajasthani cuisine.
• Surya Palace: This is a popular restaurant located in Alwar. It serves delicious North Indian and South Indian dishes.
• Panna Vilas: This is a popular restaurant located in Alwar. It serves a variety of dishes, ranging from Chinese to Continental.
• The Rajput Room: This is a popular restaurant located in Alwar. It serves delicious Rajasthani cuisine.
7. Weather and Climate:
Alwar has a hot and semi-arid climate, with temperatures ranging from 5°C in winters to 45°C in summers. The best time to visit Alwar is from October to March, when the weather is cool and pleasant.
8. Local Customs and Etiquette in Alwar:
Alwar follows traditional Indian customs and etiquette. It is advisable to dress modestly and respect local customs. Women should wear modest clothing and avoid travelling alone at night.
9. Popular Scams in Alwar:
Beware of pickpockets in crowded areas. Also, be wary of street vendors who might try to overcharge you for goods and services.
10. Suggested Trip Duration:
A trip of 3-4 days should be sufficient to explore Alwar and its surroundings.
11. Total Estimated Budget Per Person:
Stay: INR 1000-5000/night
Food: INR 500-1000/day
Activities: INR 500-1000/day
Tickets: INR 500-1000/day
12. NearBy Cities:
• Jaipur (150 km)
• Delhi (160 km)
• Bharatpur (170 km)
• Ajmer (220 km)
• Udaipur (330 km)
13. Local Language and Communication in Alwar:
The official language of Alwar is Hindi. English is also widely spoken. There are also English speaking tour guides available at the tourist destinations who can help with communication.
14. Accepted Currency and Money:
The local currency in Alwar is the Indian Rupee. Credit and debit cards are accepted in most places, but it is advisable to carry some cash as well. Tipping is not expected in Alwar, but is always appreciated.
15. Health and Medical Information:
It is advisable to get vaccinated against common illnesses such as typhoid, hepatitis A and B, and rabies before travelling to Alwar. There are also several medical facilities in the city in case of any emergency.
16. Packing Tips for Alwar:
It is advisable to pack light cotton clothing for the summer months, and warm clothing for the winter months. Comfortable walking shoes are also recommended for exploring the city.
17. To sum up:
Alwar is a beautiful city located in the Indian state of Rajasthan, known for its palaces, lakes, and rich culture. It is the perfect destination for a 3-4 day getaway, and is sure to delight.